Emergency Closing Information
K-12 Alerts Parent Contact System
We now utilize K12 Alerts as our school-to-parent notification service as needed for inclement weather conditions and other in-school emergencies.
Steps to Follow:
- Announcements will be sent to each family's phone number that you provide to K12 Alerts.
- All GMA families must complete the K12 Alerts sign up process in order to be notified of emergencies or school closings. Parents and guardians may choose to receive text messages, phone calls and/or email notifications.
- Click on the K12 Alerts logo to set up, add or change any of your notification telephone numbers or would like to add an e-mail address.
- Click here to read detailed directions.
- If you have any questions about the K12 Alerts notification system, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review information below so that you will be prepared in case of inclement weather or other unexpected early dismissal.
- We cannot stress enough the importance of your child knowing before coming to school how he or she will go home each day and especially for emergency closings. Any change in normal transportation home should be sent to the homeroom teacher in writing that morning. Each child should know whether to:
1. Go home on the bus (child should know the family plan), or
2. Wait at school for parent to pick up
- We need to emphasize that our most important request is that you do not call school. It is critical that phone lines be available for communication with school districts that bus our students and other emergency contacts. Because our primary concern, at all times, is the safety and security of our students and families, it is impossible to be attentive to individual last minute requests. As is our usual policy for the safety of your child, emails, phone calls or faxes from parents making changes during the day cannot be accepted. This policy will be strictly adhered to for the safety of your child.
- If a situation necessitates early dismissal, K12 Alerts, a text, email and telephone messaging system, will be activated for each family. Even if your child never rides the bus, you will receive a call to let you know that your district is transporting early or that GMA is closing early. It is the parent's responsibility to ensure the contact information on file with K12 Alerts is up to date. When you receive this phone call, or anytime you feel uncomfortable about the condition of the roads, you may pick up your child by parking in car line and coming to the office to sign your child out. Please note that we are serviced by multiple school districts who determine individually when and if they will begin dismissal early.
- As the situation progresses, school bus pick up times from each school district will be posted on the GMA website. Please note that the pick up times are approximate and depend on traffic and road conditions.
- Please inform your child that he/she does not have permission to call home to be picked up early.
- For the safety of each child, anyone other than the parent picking up a child must be listed on the 2022-2023 Parent-Designated PLan for Unexpected Early School Closings.
DELAYED OPENING OR CANCELLATION
The safety of our students is our prime concern when deciding to close school due to weather conditions. When unsafe weather conditions necessitate the closing of GMA for the day, a decision will be made by 6:00 am, if possible. Parents will receive information from the following sources:
- K12 Alerts - our automated telephone notification system will be implemented to inform families of delayed openings or school closings due to inclement weather or other emergency. We will no longer send these notices to TV or radio stations. For bus transportation in the event of a delayed opening, please follow your school district's schedule.
- GMA WEBSITE - www.gmaelem.org
If school is closed, there will be no CARES, sports, or after school activities that day.
If GMA is open and your district is closed, no transportation will be provided by the district. Whether you transport your child(ren) by car is left to your discretion. A child who misses school on such a day will be marked absent, due to inclement weather.
If GMA begins two hours late and your school district begins at its regular time, the district will not be able to transport your child two hours late.
If GMA opens on time and your district is two hours late, your child's bus will come two hours late. In this case, your child's lateness will not be penalized.