Curriculum Initiatives and Resources!
Advances in curriculum bring to mind the quote from Catherine McAuley, foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, "...our hearts can always be in the same place, centered in God, for who alone we can go forward or stay back." To provide our students with an experience focusing on Mind, Body and Spirit, we must always be moving forward in terms of our educational programming while staying centered in God and our core Mercy values.
Therefore, to be moving forward on the path of 21st century learning, we have introduced several new curriculum initiatives and resources:
- Completely refurnished K-3 classrooms optimizing mobility and flexibility, fostering the 21st century skills of collaboration, creativity, critical thinking and communication.
- Honors English and Language Arts for grades 5-8
- Elective classes for Middle School students in grades 6-8. These electives are wide, ranging in subject matter and include but are not limited to Dystopian Fiction, Printmaking, Career Readiness, Drawing and Painting, Computer Science: Animations, Woodworking, Art:3-D Structures, Ukulele, STEM, World Music Drumming and Computer Science: Web Development.
- Exploratorium - A science lab classroom for grades K-4, allowing greater exploration and increased hands-on learning opportunities in science study for our youngest students.
- New Social Studies curriculum for grade 4: Exploring Pennsylvania, which includes a digital subscription and ebook.
- Introduction to Coding for grades 4 and 5.
- Life Lab Greenhouse curriculum program for grades K-5, complemented by the Ecology and the Environment units in the grades 6-8 Interactive Science program.
- Technology resources including Apple computers, Chrome Books, and interactive projectors.