Parent Volunteer Clearance and Training Requirements
There are many parent volunteer opportunities, some within the confines of the school day:
- Homeroom Parent
- Library Assistant
- After School Clubs Volunteer
- GMA Parent Organization Team members
ALL volunteers who have any possible contact with children, even it is only once a year, must obtain the following clearances and training:
- Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check – This clearance can be obtained immediately online by logging on and following the prompts to complete the requested information. There will be NO CHARGE to obtain this clearance. A copy should be submitted to GMA. It is required by the state of Pennsylvania that this clearance be renewed very 5 years.
- Pennsylvania State Child Abuse Clearance – This clearance can be obtained immediately online by logging on and following the prompts. There will be NO CHARGE to obtain this clearance. A copy should be submitted to GMA. It is required by the state of Pennsylvania that this clearance be renewed every 5 years.
- If you have not lived in Pennsylvania continuously for 10 years or more, you are also required to obtain a Federal Criminal History Fingerprint Clearance. The link with information on how to obtain this clearance is https://www.identogo.com. The required code for volunteers is 1KG6Y3. A fee will be charged by the state for this service. A copy should be submitted to GMA.
- Those who have been continuous residents of Pennsylvania for 10 years or more must sign a Disclosure Statement required by the Child Protective Services Law, by clicking here. A signed copy of this statement must be submitted to the GMA Main Office.
Philadelphia Archdiocese Requirements
- Mandated Reporter Online Training – Information regarding this training and an online course, which takes approximately one hour to complete. Please print out your certificate upon completion and submit a copy to GMA (one-time only).
- Required Child Abuse Prevention Training – Volunteers have the option of completing either Virtus’ Protecting God’s Children in-person training OR of completing the Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children online training (register for an individual new account). Protecting God’s Children is a free training found at www.virtusonline.org, while the online Stewards of Children training has a $10 registration fee.
Gwynedd-Mercy Academy Elementary requires these clearances from all volunteers and school participants. No one will be permitted to volunteer at school without the required clearances and training. Please contact Sue Stephan in the Main Office at (215) 646-4916 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
We sincerely appreciate your cooperation in this regard and trust you understand that it is in the interest of the safety and welfare of all Gwynedd-Mercy Academy Elementary children that these policies are in place.