Back to School 2018-2019
What is Book Day?
For those new to GMA, Book Day, Wednesday, September 5, from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM is a chance for students to meet their teachers, pick up books, school supplies and the Mercy Memo envelope. It is not a structured event, students are not in uniform and they visit the school with their parents. Each student heads to the classroom area of his or her grade and checks the homeroom lists posted in the hallway. On each student's desk will be his or her books and supplies. The family's Mercy Memo communications envelope will be on the desk of the youngest or only child.
After visiting students' classrooms, families usually head for the gym and gallery area.
What's in the gym?
- Grab a snack sponsored by the Parent's Organization.
- Get your Contact Paper ($5.00 per roll) and Book Sox ($4.00) from the Student-Council sponsored sale.
- Gently Used Uniform Sale - pick up some great uniform items.
- Bins for unneeded uniform pieces. Those we do not sell at the used uniform shop will be donated.
Back to School Notes and Announcements
- Students in Grades K-3 are not permitted to use wheeled book bags. We have found that young children may compromise their safety as they maneuver these types of bags in and out of cars, buses and on the stairs.
- Supplemental school supply lists for each grade are will be posted at www.gmaelem.org/supplies.
- The GMA Student Council will be selling Book Sox and Contact Paper again this year on Book Day. Book Sox will be $4.00 and contact paper will be $5.00 per roll.
- Student Cell Phone Policy - Out of respect for others and in order to maintain an effective learning environment, cell phones may not be on or visible during the school day, from the time each student arrives on school property until he or she leaves at the end of the day. This includes bus and car line. Cell phones must be kept in students' backpacks or lockers during the school day. If necessary, a supervising adult may make an exception during an after-school activity.
- Fall '18 Athletic Participation: Students who wish to participate in Fall '18 sports should complete the Fall Sports Interest Form. ALL ATHLETES MUST HAVE FORMS COMPLETED USING THE APPRYSE WEB SITE.
- Baseline Concussion Testing for GMA athletes in grades 4-8 will be on Wednesday, September 4. Check the calendar for the schedule.
Below are several valuable links for your information as we prepare to go back to school.
- School Calendar
- Transportation page with links to all school districts for bus information.
- Click here for After School Dance registration forms.
- Nurse's Office Announcements: Are your child's immunizations current? All students must be in compliance with school vaccination requirements to be permitted to attend Gwynedd-Mercy Academy. Medical exceptions only are permitted per our immunization policy.
- School Nurse's Office information including medical forms and Wissahickon School District Health Updates.
- Uniform Notes:
- GMA will be introducing new uniform items this fall. The old uniform will be permitted during the 2018-2019 transitional year. Used uniform items in the older style are available. Contact parent Kate Moyer for size availability or with any questions.
- Standard school uniforms and gym uniforms are available from FlynnO'Hara Uniform Company, 910 N. Bethlehem Pike, Spring House - 215-793-9436.
- Uniform Shoes are available at FlynnO'Hara and Flocco's Discount Shoes.
- Summer Reading Assignments
- ParentsWeb - During the summer months, ParentsWeb will not be accessible while we update our database.
- Click here for Parent Volunteer Opportunities.
- Click here to volunteer for K-3 Lunch and Recess Duty.
- Click here to join our GMA Loves the 80s Auction Committee.
GMA Phone Numbers:
- Main Office - 215-646-4916
- Business Office - 215-461-1021
- Annual Giving/Development - 215-461-1022
- Boys Athletics - 215-461-1042
- Girls Athletics - 215-461-1043
- Sports Hotline - 215-461-1043
- Nurse's Office - 215-461-1025
- Religion Office - 215-461-1027